BaseballGeeks
User: Guest40092
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : General Discussion : Reading "D-Rays attendence " Thread

Message #136 of 317  *NEW*
To:  All
drrubb  
Subject:  D-Rays attendence
Date:  4/13/06, 6:10am (Last Edited: 4/13/06, 6:14am)
This just puzzles me. Forget that the D-Rays have had a losing history in their young franchise history so far. Forget that they are in a usually tough division where they have to compete with the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, & Blue Jays. This team is suppost to be an exciting team to watch this season & I believe they will be all season long. I know they have been hit by some injuries early on, but they still have guys like Crawford, Gathright, & Gomes in the line up. These are exciting players to watch. Don't forget, they will most likely be calling up Delmon Young very soon, which SHOULD be another reason to come to the Trop.

My point? The D-Rays attendence was 10,707 last night(April 12th) vs. the Orioles. Is it me or am I the only one that thinks going to a Devil Rays home game is cool? If I lived in the Tampa, St.Pete, Clearwater area, I believe I would attend every single Devil Ray home game I could. I have been to Turner Field in Atlanta, Dodger Stadium in LA, & no disrepect to those places but I enjoy going to D-Ray home games more, especially in the summer time when it's 100 thousand degrees outside. I know the D-Rays are not considered to be among baseball's glamour teams, but it is still major league baseball. I know they may not have the prettiest field, but I think the indoor stadium has a very nice enviroment to it. Parking is cheap & very convenient. Consessions are about the same as other ball parks, although you can get a footlong hotdog there for 4 bucks. Not bad compared to other ballparks, where you pay that much just for a normal sized one. You don't break a sweat or get a sunburn watching a game at the Trop. I have been there a handful of times & there really isn't a bad seat in the stadium. I've expiremented with that & have been pleased pretty much everytime & the seats relatively speaking, are cheap & confortable. I just don't get it!

Why the D-Rays don't draw better is beyond me, even if the product they put on the field isn't that great. I watched part of their game last night & it appeared as if you could roll a bowling ball down each aisle & no one would notice or be affected. To me, it is just sad. People, this is a great place to watch a game. Very underated! It may not be rich with history or tradition like Yankee Stadium or Wriggley Field, or Dodger Stadium, or Fenway Park, but just from a sheer convenient & comfort standpoint, I could probably almost guarantee you that it is the best. I know I haven't been to every major league ball park, but I can tell you that if given the choice to freeze or burn slap ass up, or be in total comfort, considering how much the average person normally pays for a MLB game, I'll take convenience & comfort, which the Trop definately is!

People in Tampa - St.Pete! GET OFF YOUR ASSES & GET TO THE TROP & SUPPORT YOUR DEVIL RAYS! THEY WILL BE GONE SOON IF YOU DON'T!

Reply to Msg #136
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

15965 reads

Message #137 of 317  *NEW*
To:  drrubb
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: D-Rays attendence
Date:  4/13/06, 11:02pm
April 13th's Devil Ray attendance: 13,042. Better that the night before but it still SUCKS!

Reply to Msg #137
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

223 reads

Message #140 of 317  *NEW*
Guest12798 (IP: 69.141.76.197)  
Date:  4/14/06, 6:13am
Having plenty of family and friends in the Tampa area, I always hear the same thing about the D-rays. The ticket prices are way too high, especially for a losing team.

Reply to Msg #140
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

16964 reads

Message #142 of 317  *NEW*
To:  Guest12798 (IP: 69.141.76.197)
drrubb  
Date:  4/14/06, 5:48pm
I have been to the Trop 5 or 6 times. To me, the best seat in the stadium is in the upper deck directly behind home plate. That seat usually only cost about 9 bucks. The seats in right & left field are usually about 15 bucks. They also have a ticket you can buy for the "batter's eye" restaurant which is in dead center field for about $33 bucks, but it is an all you can eat & drink buffet which overlooks the entire field. The buffet is fantastic! Seats directly behind home plate(not the first 2 or 3 rows however) are about 40 to 45 bucks. Personally, I find the ticket prices very reasonable. However, I think the cheaper tickets in that stadium are really just about as good as the more expensive seats.

Reply to Msg #142
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

16961 reads

Message #143 of 317  *NEW*
drrubb  
Date:  4/16/06, 12:07pm
Talkin about D-Ray attendence!

They are playing the Royals at home today. I can hear 2 people conversations in the crowd(if you want to call it that) from my TV. I'm actually not kidding. I heard a fan while watching the game on TV shout out "hip hip Jorge" from the seats when Jorge Cantu was batting. I bet they won't even reach 9 or 10 thousand today. Quiet frankly, I would love to be there. Looking at the seats makes it look as if there were only a few hundred people there. I think Dwayne Stats & Joe Magraine pulled the old Bob Euker trick today. It reminded me of that scene in Major League when Bob Euker & his color commentary guy tried to fake the crowd noise for the Indians home opener.

Reply to Msg #143
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

16959 reads

Message #153 of 317  *NEW*
TheBlueJayWay  
Date:  4/20/06, 10:00am
graphic
unless a team wins in Florida no one goes to the games, unless of course you're the Dolphins.

Reply to Msg #153
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

16958 reads

Message #162 of 317  *NEW*
To:  TheBlueJayWay
drrubb  
Date:  4/23/06, 6:31pm
Sadly enough, your right. The Buccaneers, & Jaguars of the NFL also draw very good crowds though. The NFL teams in Florida do well.

Reply to Msg #162
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

16958 reads

Message #180 of 317  *NEW*
Paulgeebert  
Date:  5/29/06, 3:56pm
The d-rays don't look long for Tampa Bay. The team has no history except a losing one - you expect people to rally around that? You have to be a baseball fan to watch those games. And baseball fans alone don't fill up stadiums.
I went to a few Expos games over the last couple years they were here in Montreal. 3000 people were at some of them, and the tickets were only 6 dollars and you could sit practically anywhere. And they're lineup was full of talent with Vlad and Vidro and Orlando Cabrera and Brad Wilerson the currently suspended Michael Barrett.
Montreal though is different from Tampa Bay - they just don't like baseball enough here to care about the team when it loses, and it has lost for ever so long: the expos made it to the playoffs once, in 1979. I doubt the D-rays will get as long a chance in Tampa Bay.

Reply to Msg #180
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

16951 reads

Message #182 of 317  *NEW*
Guest16068 (IP: 70.55.146.219)  
Date:  5/29/06, 3:56pm
The d-rays don't look long for Tampa Bay. The team has no history except a losing one - you expect people to rally around that? You have to be a baseball fan to watch those games. And baseball fans alone don't fill up stadiums.
I went to a few Expos games over the last couple years they were here in Montreal. 3000 people were at some of them, and the tickets were only 6 dollars and you could sit practically anywhere. And they're lineup was full of talent with Vlad and Vidro and Orlando Cabrera and Brad Wilerson the currently suspended Michael Barrett.
Montreal though is different from Tampa Bay - they just don't like baseball enough here to care about the team when it loses, and it has lost for ever so long: the expos made it to the playoffs once, in 1979. I doubt the D-rays will get as long a chance in Tampa Bay.

Reply to Msg #182
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

16950 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter